This is an indo Chinese starter dish made from grated or chopped vegetables. I’ve eaten this in my hometown in India. It’s available from street side sellers, made mainly by people from Kashmir. It is served immediately after frying with a sweet and spicy sauce. It is usually eaten as a side dish with Chinese dishes such as vegetable rice.
Preparation time: fifty minutes
Cooking time: ten minutes
For the fried vegetable balls:
- ½ cup grated or finely chopped cabbage
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum
- ¼ cup finely chopped French beans
- ¼ cup finely chopped spring onions or onions
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper salt
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- oil for shallow frying or deep frying
For vegetarian Manchurian sauce:
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- One or two green chillies, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions or onion
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- One tablespoon tomato ketchup
- One teaspoon red chilli sauce
- ¼ teaspoon corn starch (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or regular vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ to One tablespoon chopped spring onions greens for garnish
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- salt as required
Making vegetable Manchurian balls:
- Mix all the finely chopped or grated vegetables with the dry ingredients in a
- Knead a bit so that the vegies leave water and you get a dough like mixture.
Take a small portion of the mixture and make balls and keep aside.
- Heat the oil for frying in a kadai or pan and a small piece of the ball to it. If the
- ball does not stick or settle down on the bottom but comes steadily comes up,
the oil is ready.
- Gently place the remaining balls and turn them over until they become crisp and
- Place the fried balls on kitchen paper towels to soak the extra oil.
Making the vegetable Manchurian sauce:
- In another pan, heat about ½ tbsp. of oil or sesame oil. Add ½ tbsp finely
chopped garlic, 1/2tbsp finely chopped ginger and the chopped chilies. Stir and
sauté for a minute on low flame. Add ¼ cup chopped onions and sauté till the
- Now add the sauces – ½ tbsp. soy sauce, one tbsp. tomato sauce and one tsp red
chilli sauce or green chilli sauce and stir well. Quickly add salt and black pepper
and stir again. After adding corn starch the sauce will begin to thicken, so one
has to be quick.
- Add the fried balls and stir well. Switch off the flame and add 1/2tsp vinegar
and stir again. Garnish with spring onion greens.
- If you like, you can add sugar to the sauce.