This delicious dessert is popular in Brazil. It is served cold, at formal or casual gatherings, at birthday parties or family dinners. We’ve been making this recipe for decades, and today I’m going to share it here, step by step.
Difficulty level: Easy
Preparation time: Thirty – forty minutes
Servings: fifteen – twenty portions
- Two cans of condensed milk.
- One liter milk .
- One bottle of coconut milk (400ml)..
- Two and a half packages of lady’s finger cookies.
- One tablespoon of corn flour.
- Six tablespoons of dry coconut – for taste and decoration.
- One can of cherries (or fresh) – for taste and decoration.
- 150 g of walnuts (chopped) – for taste and decoration.
- In a large pot mix the condensed milk, coconut milk and milk together.
- Heat the mixture until hot, but do not let it boil.
- Take half the mix and place it in a separate bowl (preferably made of glass).
- Dissolve the corn flour into half a glass of cold water then mix it well with the milk mixture in the pot.
- Place the pot back on the stove (medium heat), and keep mixing until the mixture thickens into a soft cream.
- Layer the bottom of a twenty two cm x thirty five cm Pyrex, with a few tablespoons of cream.
- Soak a couple of the cookies (no more than eight – ten seconds) into the milk mix from the bowl and place it into the Pyrex until bottom is covered.
- Add a layer of cream atop it.
- Sprinkle half the dried coconut.
- Scatter some cherry and nuts.
- Again, soak cookies until you complete a second layer.
- Again add another layer of cream.
- Sprinkle the rest of the coconut and scatter the cherries and nuts.
- Refrigerate for four – six hours before serving
Note: You can add up about five – six tablespoons of cocoa powder in the first step if you wish.