Preparation time: one hour thirty minutes
Cooking time: fifteen minutes
For whole wheat pizza dough:
- Three cups of whole wheat flour
- One to 1.25 cups water or add as required
- Five teaspoon instant yeast or two teaspoon dry active yeast
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Two tablespoon olive oil
- Some whole wheat flour for dusting
For tomato pizza sauce:
- Three medium to large tomatoes, pureed, they can also be blanched and chopped or crushed
- Four to five cloves garlic, chopped
- One to 1.5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 to 1.5 teaspoon dry basil
- One to 1.5 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 to 1.5 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- One tablespoon red wine (op
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or add as required
- Two tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper as required
For pizza toppings:
- Six to eight tablespoon pizza sauce
- One small to medium onion, chopped in ½ inch squares
- One small to medium bell pepper, chopped in ½ inch squares
- One small to medium tomato, chopped in ½ inch squares
- Six to seven chopped buttons mushrooms, sauced in 1 teaspoon oil (optional)
- Seven to eight olives, chopped (optional)
- ¼ to 1/3 cup steamed corn kernels (sweet corn) or tinned corn (optional)
- ½ to 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or as required
- Some olive oil for brushing
- Whole wheat flour or semolina or cornmeal for dusting
Making whole wheat pizza dough:
- Put one cup water into a mixing bowl and lightly warm it. The temperature should be 40 – 43o Then add ¼ teaspoon of sugar and stir. Add 1.5 teaspoon of instant yeast or two teaspoons of active yeast and stir. Keep it covered for ten – fifteen minutes till the mixture has frothed and bubbled up.
- Add one cup whole wheat flour, two tablespoons olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. For dry active yeast, add the flour, olive oil and salt after the yeast solution has bubbled. Mix everything with a spoon or spatula. Then add one cup of flour and mix. Finally, add the remaining one cup flour and continue to mix.
- Start to knead the dough till it’s soft and pliable. Add more water if required. Rub some olive oil all over the dough and keep it in the same bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to leaven for an hour or two. If you have added dry active yeast, then increase the time from one and a half – two and a half hours, depending on the temperature conditions.
Preparing the pizza sauce:
- Rinse and chop the tomatoes. Puree the tomatoes in a blender or with a hand blender. Keep a few bits and pieces of tomatoes in the puree. You can also blanch and then chop or crush them.
- Heat some olive oil in a small pan. Add the chopped garlic and sauté for ten – twelve seconds on a low flame. Add the tomato puree and sauté for four – five minutes on a low or medium flame. If using red wine, then you can add it once the tomatoes are cooked.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, add the chopped basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for one – two minutes on a low or medium flame. Add some more salt or pepper according to your taste.
- Once cooled, use the pizza sauce as a topping on pizzas or store in a jar.
Assembling whole wheat pizza dough:
- After the dough has leavened, divide the dough into two or three parts, lightly knead each portion and keep covered for fifteen – twenty minutes more. Two parts will yield two pizzas of eight – ten inches in diameter whereas three parts will yield three pizzas of four – five inches. This pizza is heavier to eat due to whole wheat flour.
- Grease a nine – ten inch in diameter round pan with olive oil. Dust the pan with some whole wheat flour or cornmeal of semolina. Also preheat the oven to 250o The oven should be hot and preheated for at least twenty minutes.
- Take one portion of the whole wheat pizza dough and lightly dust the dough with whole wheat flour. With a rolling pin, roll the dough to a round shape of eight – nine inches diameter evenly.
- Lift the pizza gently and place it in the prepared pan. Brush some olive oil on the pizza dough. Now take three – four tablespoons of the pizza sauce and spread it evenly all around. Add three tablespoons of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Add your own choice of veggies. You can also add some red chilli flakes and dry oregano all over. Again add five – six tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese accordingly.
Baking the whole wheat pizza:
- Keep the baking tray in the centre rack of the preheated oven. Bake the whole wheat pizza for twelve – fifteen minutes till the cheese had melted or has golden specks. For a crisp crust, you can bake for a longer time. Keep checking while baking the pizza. Once baked and golden, slice the whole wheat pizza and serve hot.