What better way to start Mother’s Day than with a waffle and mimosa brunch. Showing your appreciation can be fun with the simple recipes of Vegan Belgium Waffles filled with heart-healthy flax seeds and whole grains. Use the basic recipe below and embellish with your favorite berries or nuts (blueberries, strawberries, walnuts, etc.) Relax with mom in your pajamas and celebrate her day with a glass of mimosa.
Vegan Belgium Waffles
Makes five waffles
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon flax seed (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One tablespoon baking powder
- Three tablespoon white granulated sugar
- Two teaspoon vanilla extract
- Five tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- One tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Five tablespoon water
- Preheat waffle iron
- Mix flax seeds with five tablespoons of water and set aside.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with the almond milk and set aside.
- Combine the whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Melt butter in a separate bowl then rapidly whisk the apple cider, almond milk, flax seed mixture and vanilla extract into the butter. Mix well.
- Add the combined flours to the butter mixture above, beating into a fine consistency.
- Pour mixture onto waffle iron and cook, following the waffle iron’s instructions.
- Eat hot right off the iron or cool topped with maple syrup and or powdered sugar.
Enjoy your waffles with a chilled glass of Mimosa made with dry champagne mixed with chilled orange juice. Other alternatives to champagne are sparkling wine or sparkling apple cider
Makes Eight Servings
- One bottle chilled dry champagne or dry sparkling wine (Use sparkling apple cider if you prefer a non-alcoholic beverage)
- Three cups chilled orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or triple sec (optional)
- Fill chilled champagne flutes 1/2 full with sparkling wine
- Fill the remaining half with orange juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of Grand Marnier or triple sec (optional)
Happy Mother’s Day!